Mumps and Homeoprophylaxis
Homeoprophylaxis for mumps helps to naturally boost the immune system’s response on exposure. Contact us to learn more.
Homeopathic remedies can help a person with the symptoms of mumps to relieve their symptoms naturally.
- Parotidinum is a homeopathic remedy that is used for Homeoprophylaxis Program (HP) under supervision by Certified Homeoprophylaxis Practitioner
- It can also be used during an epidemic.
What Is Mumps?
- Mumps is an extremely contagious viral infection that usually affects children.
- The condition has a number of symptoms, the most common one being swelling of one or both of the salivary glands on the sides of the face. These glands are called the parotid glands and when they swell the patient develops a “hamcov like” face.
- Once someone has had mumps, they usually become immune to future infections.
Signs and Symptoms
- The symptoms of mumps normally appear 2-3 weeks after the patient has been infected, however almost 20% of people with the virus do not suffer any signs or symptoms at all.
- The main symptom of mumps is painful and swollen parotid (salivary) glands, which cause the person’s cheeks to puff out.
Other Symptoms Can Include:
- Dryness in mouth
- Feeling tired and weak
- Fever/high temperature
- Pain in joints
- Pain in the sides of the face where it is swollen
- Pain experienced when swallowing
- Reduced appetite
- Trouble swallowing
What Causes Mumps?
- A person gets the mumps when infected with the mumps virus.
- Someone infected with the mumps virus is contagious for approximately 15 days (6 days before the symptoms start to show, up to 9 days after they start).
- When contracting mumps, the virus travels from the respiratory tract to the salivary glands and reproduces, causing the glands to swell.
- This disease can be spread by:
- sneezing or coughing
- sharing food and drink with someone infected
- someone infected touching their nose or mouth and then passing it onto a surface someone else may touch
- using the same cutlery/plates with someone infected
Homeopathic Remedies For The Mumps
Useful at the beginning stages of mumps. There is a sudden onset of fever. Restlessness, anxiety. Very thirst.
Noticeably flushed face and throbbing headache. Swollen glands that are hot to touch. Feel drowsy but have difficulty sleeping.
this indicated by excessive hardness of the swelling.
This corresponds to left-sided mumps, with purplish swellings and aggravation after sleep.
- Mercurius solubilis
Swelling of throat glands of the right side. Profuse and offensive salivation and perspiration.
Stony hard throat glands, especially on the right side. The throat pains may extend to the ear. Irresistible desire to bite their teeth together. Pain from sticking out their tongue. The person feels worse in cold or wet weather.
- Pilocarpinum or Pilocarpus jaborandi
Some homeopaths believe this medicine is the best remedy for the mumps. The main symptoms are excessive salivation and perspiration. This is also a good remedy for complications that some children get from the mumps.
Useful in children approaching puberty who get the mumps and experience swollen breasts or testicles. Thirstless, despite having a fever. Sensitive to warm rooms. Very clingy.
- Rhus toxicodendron
Swollen glands which are worse on the left side. Person feels worse from by cold. There may have cold sores on their lips.