Clinical Research On The Effectiveness Of Homeoprophylaxis
Kari J. Kindem is a trained and Certified Homeoprophylaxis Practitioner who follows the methods of Dr. Isaac Golden for homeoprophylaxis. Dr. Gold is one of the foremost researchers currently in homeoprophylaxis is Dr. Isaac Golden has a PhD in Homeoprophylaxis from Swinburne University in Australia and is a homeopath, government consultant and teacher of homeoprophylaxis. He is considered the world expert in the most current clinical research over the past 30 years in the effectiveness of homeoprophylaxis. Dr. Golden lives in Australia and works with clients and teaches homeoprophylaxis methods to Certified Homeoprophylaxis Practitioners (designated by the initials CHP). He is also politically active in the health care freedom and vaccine rights movements in Australia. Learn about certification in HP for homeopaths and medical professionals here.
Use of Homeoprophylaxis: Clinical Data on Effectiveness
Data from HP for Professionals Course Taught by Dr. Isaac Golden, 2014. References for these studies may be found in Vaccination and Homoeoprophylaxis – A Review of Risks and Alternatives, 6th edition.
|Year||Researcher||Numbers of Participants||Length of Survey||HP’s % of Effectiveness
|1907||Eaton||2,806||< 1 year||97.50%|
|1950||Taylor-Smith||82 (12 definitely exposed)||< 1 year||100%|
|1963||Gutman||385||< 1 year||86%|
|1974||Castro & Nogeira||HP =18,000 Not HP = 6,340||3 months||86.10%|
|1987||English||694||2 years||87.0 – 91.5%|
|1987||Fox||61||5 years||82.0 – 95.0%|
|1998||Mroninski et al||HP = 65,826 Not HP=23,539||6 months & 12 months||95.0 – 91.0%|
|1997||Golden||593 children (1,305 questionnaires)||10 years||88.80%|
|1987||Fox||61||5 years||82.0 – 95.0%|
|1997||Golden||593 children (1,305 surveys)||10 years||88.80%|
|2004||Golden||1,159 children (2,342 surveys)||15 years||90.40%|
A 15 Year Clinical Research Study On Homeoprophylaxis By Dr. Isaac Golden, Australia
- In this recent study by Dr. Golden, parent responses were data based over a 15 year Homeoprophylactic Program for disease prevention from 1985 to 2004. There were a total of 2,342 responses were collected, each one covering one year of a child’s life. The effectiveness and safety of the homeopathic option to vaccination is fully discussed and the actual comments by parents are reported.
- The single figure measure of effectiveness in this study was 90.4% with 95% confidence limits 87.6% – 93.2%.
- Using national attack rates in Australia where the study was done, there was as a control HP efficacy for three diseases was:
- Mumps – 91.6%
- Measles – 90.0%
- Whooping cough – 86.2%
Current Books on Homeoprophylaxis and HP Research Written By Dr. Isaac Golden
- His main book on HP is called “The Complete Practitioners Manual of Homoeoprophylaxis”.
- Dr. Isaac Golden’s thesis on HP research is titled “Homoeoprophylaxis – A Fifteen Year Clinical Study: A Statistical Review of the Efficacy and Safety of Long-Term Homœoprophylaxis”, 2004.
- His book for parents comparing vaccination and HP is called “Vaccination and Homoeoprophylaxis, 7th edition.
- He also wrote “Homoeoprophylaxis – A Practical and Philosophical Review”, 4th edition, 2007.
- His PhD these was “The Potential Value of Homoeoprophylaxis in Long-Term Prevention of Infectious Diseases, and the Maintenance of Health in Recipients.” Download the 287 page book (PDF) of HP clinical research here.
Highlights Of Modern Use of Homeoprophylaxis By Governments In Other Countries
- 2019: Read Large Scale Homeoprophylaxis Study: Results of Brief and Long-Term Interventions on 250 million people.
- Brazil 1998: The Brazilian government funded two large trials in thousands of children that successfully reduced the incidence of meningococcal disease in those given homeoprophylaxis. The Brazilian experience with homeoprophylaxis was:
- In 1998 there was an outbreak of meningococcal meningitis type B in a region of Brazil. Doctors in that country are also homeopaths. There was no vaccine available at the time so a group of doctors who worked in the region used the HP meningococcal nosode on 65,826 children. Another 23,539 children in the region were not immunized. The doctors followed the two groups for 12 months.
- The efficacy of Homeoprophylaxis was 95% after six months and 91% after 12 months. It was a complete and statistically rigorous report and was published in a leading peer reviewed Homeopathic journal, and is available for study. Reference: Mroninski C, Adriano E, Mattos G (2001) Meningococcinum: Its protective effect against meningococcal disease. Homoeopathic Links Winter Vol 14(4); pp. 230-4).
- Cuba 2007 and 2008: The Cuban government depends on homeopathy to manage its leptospirosis epidemics and Dengue Fever outbreaks in millions of people. The Cuban experience with Homeoprophylaxis has these clinical results:
- Dr. Golden supervised the recent use of Homeoprophylaxis on a large population was during an epidemic in Cuba in 2007 and 2008 for Leptospirosis – with amazing clinical efficacy on a population of 2,000,000 people in a government run program.
- Cuban medical researchers successfully prevented the outbreak of Leptospirosis in Cuba among a population of 5 million people across two regions using homeopathy in both 2007 and 2008.
- Dr. Golden was consulted at the request of the Finlay Institute, a vaccine manufacture to do this work for the Cuban government.
- Using Homeoprophylaxis, the equivalent of immunization in homeopathy, a HP nosode of Leptospirosis was prepared and administered along with two Bach Flower Essences to address the typical mental and emotional effects of the disease.
- Two dry doses were given to a population of 2.5 million, the second dose being 7-9 days after the first, bringing the incidence of infection to just under 10 people with no fatalities.
- Previously, conventional treatment of the population with a vaccine still resulted in thousands of infections and a number of fatalities and at a cost of US $2 million.
- The Homeoprophylaxis solution was incredible AND affordable and the total cost was just only US $200,000!
- Ghana: An Open Study and a Double-Blind Randomized Clinical Trial on Homeoprophylaxis for Malaria in Ghana called“Malaria and Homeopathic Remedies in Ghana.”
- India: The Indian government controls epidemics for thousands of people for malaria, Japanese Encephalitis, Dengue Fever and epidemic fever with homeopathy. Japanese Encephalitis was becominga serious problem in India. “It had caused significant morbidity and mortality in the state of Andhra Pradesh for several decades. In 1986, a high of 2038 cases with 638 deaths was recorded. When the Government Department of Indian Medicine and Homoeopathy began to systematically distribute prophylactics in 1999 via Public Health Centres, Government Homeopathic Dispensaries, homeopathic pharmacies and homeopathic doctors, notifications and mortality dropped to nil (zero) by 2003.” This HP was administered to a population of 20 million children under the age of 15 (Japanese encephalitis on the decline in state. The Hindu. April 2, 2003.)
- India: In Kerala, India a clinical study in 2006 discussed the effectiveness of homeoprophylaxis for Chikungunya Fever. “A Study on the Prophylactic Efficacy of Homoeopathic Preventive Medicine Against Chikungunya Fever.” Download the article to read the study about HP for chikungunya fever.
- India: April 2018: A new study entitled “Could Homeopathy Become An Alternative Therapy In Dengue Fever An example Of 10 Case Studies”.
- India: Another study was done on homeoprophylaxis for Chikyngunya Fever called“Homoeopathic Genus Epidemicus ‘Bryonia alba’ as a prophylactic during an outbreak of Chikungunya in India: A cluster – randomised, double -blind, placebo- controlled trial”. Readabout this study here.
- India: Another Indian study was done called “A Study on the Prophylactic Efficacy of Homoeopathic Preventive Medicine Against Chikungunya Fever.” Read about the study here.
- Tanzania, June 2005: Read the study of the use of homeoprophlyaxis using Neem (Azadirachta indica) in Tanzania for malaria “The Effect of Homeopathic Neem for the Prophylaxis of Malaria.”
- Thailand, Colombo, Brazil: The governments of Thailand, Colombo and Brazil also use homeopathy to manage Dengue Fever outbreaks and epidemics.
Large Populations: Clinical Success With Homeoprophylaxis For Disease Prevention
- 2011: The Brazilian Public Health Service did a placebo-controlled clinical trial of homeoprophylaxis with 600 children called “The Use of Homeopathy To Prevent Symptoms Of Human Flu And Acute Respiratory Infections: A Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo-controlled Clinical trial with 600 children.” Download the study here.
- 2010: The Cuban government used HP for the swine flu on 9.8 million people in Cuba. They immunized this large population via Finlay Institute, a vaccine manufacturer. This included doing homeoprophylaxis the entire country for anyone above 12 months of age. Cuba also did homeoprophylaxis for pneumococcal disease.
- 2010: The Cuba government successfully again used of homeoprophylaxis to prevent an epidemic of leptospirosis. This study involved 2.3 million people of all ages. The cost was about $200, 000 (USD), compared to over $3 million (USD) for the vaccines. The study that was published is called “Large-scale application of highly-diluted bacteria for Leptospirosis epidemic control.” Read the abstract of study here.
- 2009 Immunization Graphs: Natural Infectious Disease Declines; Immunization Effectiveness; and Immunization Dangers by Raymond Obomsawin Ph.D. December, 2009. These graphs show the decline of diseases in North America, Europe, and the South Pacific. There are major declines in life-threatening infectious diseases occurred historically either without, or far in advance of public immunization efforts for specific diseases as listed. This provides irrefutable evidence that vaccines are not necessary for the effective elimination of a wide range of infectious diseases.
- 2008: The Brazilian government used homeoprophylaxis to control and outbreak of Dengue Fever in Macaé, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and contributed homeopathy to the control of an outbreak of dengue. “Contribution of Homeopathy To the Contol Or an Outbreak of Dengue In Macaé, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil”. Read the study here.
- 2007: The Brazilian government used homeoprophylaxis to control and outbreak of flu and respiratory infections. “The use of homeopathy to prevent symptoms of human flu and acute respiratory infections: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial with 600 children from Brazilian Public Health Service”. Download the study here.
- 2006: The Indian government study was done on the treatment of Chikingunya Fever called “A Study on the Prophylactic Efficacy of Homoeopathic Preventive Medicine Against Chikungunya Fever.” Read about the study here.
- 2005: A study was completed on the use of homeoprophlyaxis using Neem (Azadirachta indica) in Tanzania for malaria “The Effect of Homeopathic Neem for the Prophylaxis of Malaria.”
- 1999: The Department of Indian Medicine and Homeopathy started distribution of nosodes for Japanese Encephalitis in a systematic way throughout the Indian state of Andrha Pradesh and uses if for epidemics.
- 1999: In Andrha Pradesh, India, Japanese Encephalitis dropped to zero within 3 years. The mortality rates for Japanese Encephalitis had touched a high of 638 deaths from 2,038 cases in 1986, but fell to four from 33 cases in 2001 after the implementation of the homeoprophylaxis program. The World Health Organization and the Medical and Health Department acknowledge that homeoprophylaxis has been a vital factor in the sharp decline of Japanese Encephalitis cases in Andrha Pradesh.
- 1996: The homeopathic remedy for Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever, an infectious tropical disease of Dengueinum 30C was administered to over 39,200 people in the Delhi, India area during an epidemic of Dengue hemorrhagic fever. Follow-up of 23,520 people 10 days later showed only 5 people (0.125%) had developed mild symptoms, with the rest showing no signs or symptoms of the disease (CCRH). This is clinically significant because normally during epidemics of Dengue, the attack rates among those most susceptible are often 40-50%, but can reach as high as 80-90%, per the World Health Organization.
- 1975: During another poliomyelitis epidemic in Buenos Aires, Brazil there were 40,000 people given the Lathyrus sativus for homeoprophylaxis. No one developed polio.
- 1957: A poliomyelitis (polio) epidemic occurred in Buenos Aires, Brazil. The majority of homeopathic doctors prescribed Lathyrus sativus as a preventative. Drug stores distributed thousands of doses to the public. None of those who used the prophylactic registered a case of contagion.
- 1950: During an epidemic of poliomyelitis (polio) in South Africa, Dr. Taylor Smith of Johannesburg protected 82 people with homeopathic Lathyrus sativus. Of the 82 who used the homeoprophylaxis, 12 came into direct contact with disease and still none were infected.
- 1950: In the USA, Dr. Grimmer of Chicago, Illinois treated 5,000 young children with Lathyrus sativus to prevent polio and no one developed polio.
Historical Use of Homeoprophylaxis Since Hahnemann’s Time
- HP has been used successfully for over 200 years!
- 1798: Vaccination was first used in 1796 and Homeoprophylaxis was first used in 1798. The founder of homeopathy, Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, used homeoprophylaxis routinely in his practice. There is over 200 years of recorded clinical evidence showing the real-world effectiveness and HP has been used by many masters of homeopathy since then!
- 1799: Dr. Samuel Hahnemann used the homeopathic remedy Belladonna successfully to prevent Scarlet Fever. Following Hahnemann’s example, another eleven medical doctors prescribed Belladonna during the same epidemic. They reported that of 1,646 children exposed to scarlet fever after being given Belladonna, only 123 (7.4%) developed symptoms of infection. In contrast, the infection rate in those who did not receive the prophylactic was as high as 90%.
- 1838: The Prussian Government used Belladonna during all scarlet fever epidemics. Their chief of physicians, and the royal physician of the King of Prussia, Christoph Wilhelm von Hufeland, showed it to be an effective prophylactic. Hufeland was convinced of the successful use of Belladonna as a prophylactic against Scarlet Fever and published a paper called “On the Prophylatic Powers of Bellandonna Against Scarlet Fever” (published in The Lancet, Vol. 2, Issue 296, May 1829, pg. 135).
- 1831: Dr. Samuel Hahnemann prevented and treated cholera during the 1831 Asiatic cholera epidemic with the remedies Camphor, Cuprum metallicum and Veratrum album.
- 1849: Dr. Clemens von Boenninghausen treated and prevented untold numbers of cholera infections during the 1849 European epidemic with the above remedies recommended by Hahnemann. While a death rate of 54-90% occurred with conventional treatment, Boenninghausen’s patients had a mortality rate of only 5-16%.
- 1800’s: Dr. Clemens von Boenninghausen used Thuja for both the treatment and prevention of smallpox during an epidemic.
- 1902: Dr. Eaton of Iowa, USA reported that during a smallpox epidemic in Iowa, 2,806 patients were treated prophylactically with homeopathic Variolinum. Of the 547 patients definitely exposed, only 14 developed the disease. The protection rate on these numbers was 97%.
- 1850: During an epidemic of poliomyelitis, Dr. Taylor Smith of Johannesburg, South Africa protected 82 people with homeopathic Lathyrus sativus. Of the 82 so immunized, 12 came into direct contact with disease. None were infected.
- 1900’s: Dr. Thomas Lindsley Bradford wrote in “The Logic of Figures”. He documents (on page 31) several doctors who followed the success of Dr. Samuel Hahnemann with Belladonna against scarlet fever and tried it for themselves.
- 1950: In Chicago, Illinois, Dr. Grimmer prophylactically treated 5,000 young children with Lathyrus sativus. None developed polio.
- 1957: A severe poliomyelitis epidemic occurred in Buenos Aires, Brazil. The majority of homeopathic doctors prescribed Lathyrus sativus as a preventative. Drug stores distributed thousands of doses to the public. None of those who used the prophylactic registered a case of contagion (Eizayaga).
- 1975: During another poliomyelitis epidemic in Buenos Aires, Brazil, 40,000 were given the homeopathic prophylactic Lathyrus sativus. None developed poliomyelitis (Eizayaga).
- 1987: The article on HP was published entitled “Pertussin 30 — Preventive For Whooping Cough?: A Pilot Study” http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0007078587800042
- 1996: The homeopathic nosode Dengueinum 30C was administered to at least 39,200 people in the Delhi area of India during an epidemic of Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever. Follow-up of 23,520 people 10 days later showed only 5 people (0.125%) had developed mild symptoms, with the rest showing no signs or symptoms of the disease (CCRH). During epidemics of Dengue, attack rates among susceptible are often 40-50 %, but may reach 80-90 %, per the World Health Organization.
- 1999: The Department of Indian Medicine and Homeopathy started distribution of homeoprophylaxis for Japanese Encephalitis in a systematic way throughout the Andhra Pradesh, India with Belladonna, Calcarea Carbonica and Tuberculinum.
- 2001: Following the implementation of the HP program in Andhra Pradesh, India for Japanese Encephalitis, mortality rates which had touched a high of 638 deaths from 2,038 cases in 1986, fell to four (4) cases from 33 cases in 2001. The World Health Organization (WHO) and the Medical and Health Department acknowledge that homeoprophylaxis has been a vital factor in the sharp decline of in India of Japanese Encephalitis.
- 2010: The research paper was published entitled “The Use of Homeopathic Prophylaxis and Treatment For Malaria in Endemic Areas of Kenya” by D. Ananda. Read here.
- Aug 4, 2015: The paper on the use of homeopathy to prevent symptoms of human flu and acute respiratory infections: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial with 600 children from Brazilian Public Health Service. Read the paper on Pub Med here.
HP Studies Referencing Success Of Homeoprophylaxis By Year Include:
- 1961: Eisfelder, H.W. “Poliomyelitis immunization: a final report.” J Am Inst Homeopath 54, 166–167.
- 1950: Taylor-Smith, A. “Poliomyelitis and prophylaxis.” Br Homeopath J 40, 65–77.
- 2001: MMW Fortschr. “Treatment of scarlet fever with homeopathy? MMW readers remember the pre-penicillin era.” Med 143, 12.
- 2008: De Souza Nunes, L., and Nunes, L.A. de S. “Contribution of homeopathy to the control of an outbreak of dengue in Macae, Rio de Janeiro” Int J High Dilution Res 7, 186–192.
- 2009: Chalmers, I., and Toth, B. “Nineteenth-century controlled trials to test whether belladonna prevents scarlet fever.” J R Soc Med 102, 549–550.
- 2010: Bandyopadhyay. “Decreased Intensity of Japanese Encephalitis Virus Infection in Chick Chorioallantoic Membrane Under Influence of Ultradiluted Belladonna Extract.” Am. J. Infect. Dis., 6, 24–2
- 2010: Bracho, G., Varela, E., Fernández, R., Ordaz, B., Marzoa, N., Menéndez, J., García, L., Gilling, E., Leyva, R., Rufín, R., et al. “Large-scale application of highly-diluted bacteria for Leptospirosis epidemic control” Homeopathy 99, 156–166.
Historical Timeline Homeoprophylaxis Use By Known Homeopaths
Data from HP for Professionals Course Taught by Dr. Isaac Golden, 2014
- 1799 In the book The Life and Letters of Dr. Samuel Hahnemann by Thomas Lindsley Bradford, M.D., in chapter 17 we read “Epidemic of Scarlatina”, the author writes “during the summer of 1799, the last year of his sojourn in Konigslutter, an epidemic of scarlet fever occurred, during which Hahnemann discovered the great value of Belladonna as a prophylactic against this serious disease.”
- Historical Background For the Use of Belladonna as Homeoprophylatic For Scarlet Fever: It was during a 1799 scarlet fever outbreak in Germany, Dr. Hahnemann observed that three children in a family contracted the disease, but the fourth remained unaffected. The fourth had been treated with homeopathic Belladonna for an unrelated joint problem. Dr. Hahnemann reasoned that perhaps the dose of Belladonna had protected the child from scarlet fever as well as treated the joint affliction. Soon afterward, he was able to test his theory when, in another of his patient’s families, three children in a family of eight contracted scarlet fever. Hahnemann administered homeopathic Belladonna to the remaining unafflicted five people, and all five remained symptom free. Dr. Hahnemann continued using Belladonna during this epidemic, and soon conventional physicians took note and began using the same protocol. Of 10 allopathic physicians who were reporting their results with Belladonna, 1,646 children were prophylactically treated and then exposed to scarlet fever, but only 123 children (7.4%) developed symptoms (during the same time, disease from exposure ran as high as 90%).
- 1801 Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, Founder of Homeopathy and Homeoprophylaxis used Belladonna to prevent Scarlet Fever as reported in his pamphlet entitled “The Cure and Prevention of Scarlet Fever with Belladonna”. Read the contemporary article about the “Origin of Homeoprophylaxis” by David Little (1996).
- Dr. Hahnemann also refers to homeoprophylaxis for scarlet fever in his book “6th Organon of the Healing Art“, aphorism 73, footnote 73b that discusses acute miasmatic disease. In aphorism 73, Hahnemann discusses his use of Belladonna for prevention of scarlet fever and Aconite for roodvonk (purpura miliaris).
- 1831: Dr. Samuel Hahnemann uses as homeoprophylatic the remedies of Camphor, Cuprum metallicum and Veratrum album for Asiatic Cholera.
- 1849: Dr. C. M. F. von Boenninghausen, Lesser Writings, Cholera
- 1853: Dr. R. E. Dudgeon, Belladonna, Scarlet Fever.
Dudgeon reported in his Lectures on the “Theory and Practice of Homoeopathy” the experience of ten allopathic doctors who gave Belladonna to 1,646 children who were exposed to scarlet fever of whom 123 contracted the disease, which is under 1%. The normal attack rate in unprotected children was as high as 90%.
- 1884: Dr. J. C. Burnett used homeoprophylaxis in his practice.
- 1900: Dr. K. T. Kent used homeoprophylaxis in his practice.
- 1907: Dr. C. W. Eaton, used homeoprophylaxis with variolinum in his practice.
- 1918: Dr. T. A. McCann of Dayton, Ohio, during an Influenza Pandemic wrote about The effectiveness of Homeopathy in acute epidemics was confirmed during the great Influenza Pandemic of 1918. Read The Journal of the American Institute of Homeopathy, May 1921 where the following data was reported: Dr. Dayton recorded that in 24,000 flu cases treated by orthodox medicine the mortality rate was 28.2% while for those treated homeoprophylatically it was only 1.05%. The Dean of Hahnemann College who collected 26,795 with similar results supported this figure. Read also Some History of the Treatment of Epidemics with Homeopathy by Julian Winston.
- 1920: Dr. S. Close sed homeoprophylaxis in his practice.
- 1932: Dr. Paul Chauvanon – used Dipththerortoxinum for homeoprophylaxis in his practice.
- 1967: Dr. Dorothy Shepherd used homeoprophylaxis in her practice.
- 1968: Dr. Krishnaumurty – used Influenzinum for homeoprophylaxis in his practice.
- 1972: Dr. P. Sankaran – sourced 92 practitioners and hundreds of examples of HP in his practice.
- 1974: Dr. D. Castro and Dr. D. G. G. Nogueira – both used Meningococcinum against Meningitis for homeoprophylaxis in their practices.
- 1976: Dr. M. Blackieused Influenzinum for homeoprophylaxis in his practice.
- 1976: K. M. Mather used homeoprophylaxis in his practice.
- 1978: Dr. P. Sankaran used homeoprophylaxis in his practice.
- 1982: L. J. Speight wrote “Examples of HP in Nine Common Diseases”and used homeoprophylaxis in his practice.
- 1989: Dr. Andrew Lockie used homeoprophylaxis in his practice.
- 1991: F. X. Eizayaga used homeoprophylaxis in his practice.
- 1991: r. B. Sethi – Diptherium, Lathyrus sativa, Pertussin in Whooping Cough for homeoprophylaxis in his practice.
- 1998: Mroninski C., Adriano, E., Mattos G., 2001 – used Meningococcinum for homeoprophylaxis in his practice.
- 1985 to 2004: Dr. Issac Golden collects a total of 2,342 responses for homeoprophylaxis research, each one covering one year of a child’s life. The effectiveness and safety of the homeopathic option to vaccination is shown to be highly effective.