Clinical Research on the Effectiveness of Homeoprophylaxis
Learn more about Homeopathic Immunization and the long term historical use plus current clinical research!
One of the foremost researchers currently in homeoprophylaxis is Dr. Isaac Golden has a PhD in Homeoprophylaxis from Swinburne University in Australia and is a homeopath, government consultant and teacher of homeoprophylaxis. He is considered the world expert in the most current clinical research over the past 30 years in the effectiveness of homeopathic immunizations.
Dr. Golden lives in Australia and works with clients and teaches homeoprophylaxis methods to Certified Homeoprophylaxis Practitioners (designated by the initials CHP) worldwide. He is also politically active in the health care freedom and vaccine rights movements in Australia.
Current Books on Homeoprophylaxis and HP Research Written By Dr. Isaac Golden
- His main book on HP is called “The Complete Practitioners Manual of Homoeoprophylaxis”.
- Dr. Isaac Golden’s thesis on HP research is titled “Homoeoprophylaxis – A Fifteen Year Clinical Study: A Statistical Review of the Efficacy and Safety of Long-Term Homœoprophylaxis”, 2004.
- His book for parents comparing vaccination and HP is called “Vaccination and Homoeoprophylaxis, 7th edition.
- He also wrote “Homoeoprophylaxis – A Practical and Philosophical Review”, 4th edition, 2007.
- His PhD these was “The Potential Value of Homoeoprophylaxis in Long-Term Prevention of Infectious Diseases, and the Maintenance of Health in Recipients.” Download the 287 page book (PDF) of HP clinical research here.
Highlights Of Modern Use of Homeoprophylaxis By Governments In Other Countries
- Brazil: The Brazilian government funded two large trials in thousands of children that successfully reduced the incidence of meningococcal disease in those given homeoprophylaxis.
- Cuba: The Cuban government depends on homeopathy to manage its leptospirosis epidemics and dengue fever outbreaks in millions of people.
- India: The Indian government controls epidemics for thousands of people for malaria, Japanese encephalitis, dengue fever and epidemic fever with homeopathy.
- India: In Kerala, India a clinical study in 2006 discussed the effectiveness of homeoprophylaxis for chikungunya fever. “A Study on the Prophylactic Efficacy of Homoeopathic Preventive Medicine Against Chikungunya Fever.” Download the article to read the study about HP for chikungunya fever.
- Ghana: An Open Study and a Double-Blind Randomized Clinical Trial on Homeoprophlyaxis for Malaria in Ghana called “Malaria and Homeopathic Remedies in Ghana.”
- India: A study was done on homeoprophylaxis for chikyngunya fever called “Homoeopathic Genus Epidemicus ‘Bryonia alba’ as a prophylactic during an outbreak of Chikungunya in India: A cluster -randomised, double -blind, placebo- controlled trial”. Read about this study here.
- India: Another India study was done called “A Study on the Prophylactic Efficacy of Homoeopathic Preventive Medicine Against Chikungunya Fever.” Read about the study here.
- Tanzania, June 2005: Read the study of the use of homeoprophlyaxis using Neem (Azadirachta indica) in Tanzania for malaria “The Effect of Homeopathic Neem for the Prophylaxis of Malaria.”
- Thailand, Colombo, Brazil: The governments of Thailand, Colombo and Brazil also use homeopathy to manage dengue fever outbreaks and epidemics.
Important Clinical Success With Homeopathic Immunizations For Disease Prevention in Large Populations
- In 2011, the Brazilian Public Health Service did a placebo-controlled clinical trial of homeoprophylaxis with 600 children called “The Use of Homeopathy to prevent symptoms of human flu and acute respiratory infections: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial with 600 children from Brazilian Public Health Service.” Download the study here.
- In 2010, the Cuban government used homeopathic immunizations for the swine flu on 9.8 million people in Cuba. They immunized this large population via Finlay Institute, a vaccine manufacturer. This included doing homeopathic immunizations the entire country for anyone above 12 months of age. Cuba also did homeoprophylaxis for pneumococcal disease.
- In 2010, the Cuba government successfully again used of homeoprophylaxis to prevent an epidemic of leptospirosis. This study involved 2.3 million people of all ages. The cost was about $200, 000 (USD), compared to over $3 million (USD) for the vaccines. The study that was published is called “Large-scale application of highly-diluted bacteria for Leptospirosis epidemic control.” Read the abstract of study here.
- In 2008, the Brazilian government used homeoprophylaxis to control and outbreak of denge fever in Macaé, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and contributed homeopathy to the control of an outbreak of dengue. “Contribution of Homeopathy To the Contol Or an Outbreak of Dengue In Macaé, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil”. Read the study here.
- In 2007, the Brazilian government used homeoprophylaxis to control and outbreak of flu and respiratory infections. “The use of homeopathy to prevent symptoms of human flu and acute respiratory infections: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial with 600 children from Brazilian Public Health Service”. Download the study here.
- In 2006 the Indian government study was done on the treatment of chikingunya fever called “A Study on the Prophylactic Efficacy of Homoeopathic Preventive Medicine Against Chikungunya Fever.” Read about the study here.
- In 2005: Read the study of the use of homeoprophlyaxis using Neem (Azadirachta indica) in Tanzania for malaria “The Effect of Homeopathic Neem for the Prophylaxis of Malaria.”
- In 1999, the Department of Indian Medicine and Homeopathy started distribution of nosodes for Japanese Encephalitis in a systematic way throughout the Indian state of Andrha Pradesh. When the Indian government introduced homeoprophylactics into the state of Andhra Pradesh, notifications of endemic Japanese encephalitis dropped to zero within 3 years. The mortality rates for Japanese Encephalitis had touched a high of 638 deaths from 2038 cases in 1986, but fell to four from 33 cases in 2001 after the implementation of the homeoprophylaxis program. The World Health Organization and the Medical and Health Department acknowledge that homeoprophylaxis has been a vital factor in the sharp decline of Japanese Encephalitis cases in Andrha Pradesh.
- In 1996, the homeopathic remedy for Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever, an infectious tropical disease of Dengueinum 30C was administered to over 39,200 people in the Delhi, India area during an epidemic of Dengue hemorrhagic fever. Follow-up of 23,520 people 10 days later showed only 5 people (0.125%) had developed mild symptoms, with the rest showing no signs or symptoms of the disease (CCRH). This is clinically significant because normally during epidemics of Dengue, the attack rates among those most susceptible are often 40-50%, but can reach as high as 80-90%, per the World Health Organization
- In 1975, during another poliomyelitis epidemic in Buenos Aires, Brazil 40,000 people were given the Lathyrus sativus for homeoprophylaxis. No one developed polio.
- In 1957, a poliomyelitis (polio) epidemic occurred in Buenos Aires, Brazil. The majority of homeopathic doctors prescribed Lathyrus sativus as a preventative. Drug stores distributed thousands of doses to the public. None of those who used the prophylactic registered a case of contagion.
- In 1950, during an epidemic of poliomyelitis (polio) in South Africa, Dr. Taylor Smith of Johannesburg protected 82 people with homeopathic Lathyrus sativus. Of the 82 who used the homeoprophylaxis, 12 came into direct contact with disease and still none were infected.
- in 1950, Dr. Grimmer of Chicago, USA treated 5,000 young children with Lathyrus sativus to prevent polio and no one developed polio.
Historical Use of Homeoprophylaxis Since Hahnemann’s Time
- Homeopathic immunizations have been used successfully for over 200 years! The founder of homeopathy, Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, used homeopathic immunization routinely in his practice.
- In 1799, Hahnemann used the homeopathic remedy Belladonna successfully to prevent Scarlet Fever. Following Hahnemann’s example, another eleven medical doctors prescribed Belladonna during the same epidemic. They reported that of 1,646 children exposed to scarlet fever after being given Belladonna, only 123 (7.4%) developed symptoms of infection. In contrast, the infection rate in those who did not receive the prophylactic was as high as 90%.
- In 1838 the Prussian Government used Belladonna during all scarlet fever epidemics. Their chief of physicians, and the royal physician of the King of Prussia, Christoph Wilhelm von Hufeland, showed it to be an effective prophylactic. Hufeland was convinced of the successful use of Belladonna as a prophylactic against scarlet fever and published a paper called “On the Prophylatic Powers of Bellandonna Against Scarlet Fever” (published in The Lancet, Vol. 2, Issue 296, May 1829, pg. 135).
- In 1831 Samuel Hahnemann prevented and treated cholera during the 1831 Asiatic cholera epidemic with the remedies Camphor, Cuprum metallicum and Veratrum album.
- In 1849 Dr. Clemens von Boenninghausen treated and prevented untold numbers of cholera infections during the 1849 European epidemic with the above remedies recommended by Hahnemann. While a death rate of 54-90% occurred with conventional treatment, Boenninghausen’s patients had a mortality rate of only 5-16%.
- In the 1800’s Clemens von Boenninghausen used Thuja for both the treatment and prevention of smallpox during an epidemic.
- In 1902 Dr. Eaton reported that during a smallpox epidemic in Iowa, 2806 patients were treated prophylactically with homeopathic Variolinum. Of the 547 patients definitely exposed, only 14 developed the disease. The protection rate on these numbers was 97%.
- In 1850 during an epidemic of poliomyelitis, Dr. Taylor Smith of Johannesburg, South Africa protected 82 people with homeopathic Lathyrus sativus. Of the 82 so immunized, 12 came into direct contact with disease. None were infected.
- Published in 1900’s, Dr. Thomas Lindsley Bradford wrote “The Logic of Figures”. He documents (page 31) several doctors who followed the success of Hahnemann with Belladonna against scarlet fever and tried it for themselves.
- In 1950 in Chicago, Illinois, Dr. Grimmer prophylactically treated 5,000 young children with Lathyrus sativus. None developed polio.
- In 1957 a severe poliomyelitis epidemic occurred in Buenos Aires, Brazil. The majority of homeopathic doctors prescribed Lathyrus sativus as a preventative. Drug stores distributed thousands of doses to the public. None of those who used the prophylactic registered a case of contagion (Eizayaga).
- In 1975 during another poliomyelitis epidemic in Buenos Aires, Brazil, 40,000 were given the homeopathic prophylactic Lathyrus sativus. None developed poliomyelitis (Eizayaga).
- In 1987 “Pertussin 30 — Preventive For Whooping Cough?: A Pilot Study” http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0007078587800042
- In 1996 Dengueinum 30C was administered to at least 39,200 people in the Delhi area of India during an epidemic of Dengue haemorrhagic fever. Follow-up of 23,520 people 10 days later showed only 5 people (0.125%) had developed mild symptoms, with the rest showing no signs or symptoms of the disease (CCRH). During epidemics of dengue, attack rates among susceptible are often 40-50 %, but may reach 80-90 %, per the World Health Organization.
- In 1999 the Department of Indian Medicine and Homoeopathy started distribution of homeopathic immunizations for Japanese Encephalitis in a systematic way throughout the Andhra Pradesh with Belladonna, Calcarea Carb and Tuberculinum.
- By 2001, following the implementation of the homeopathic immunization program in Andhra Pradesh, India for Japanese Encephalitis, mortality rates which had touched a high of 638 deaths from 2,038 cases in 1986, fell to four (4) cases from 33 cases in 2001.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) and the Medical and Health Department acknowledge that homeopathic immunizations have been a vital factor in the sharp decline of in India of Japanese Encephalitis.
- In 2010, “The Use of Homeopathic Prophylaxis and Treatment For
Malaria in Endemic Areas of Kenya” by D. Ananda. Read here
- The use of homeopathy to prevent symptoms of human flu and acute respiratory infections: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial with 600 children from Brazilian Public Health Service.
Other Studies Referencing Homeoprophylaxis Include:
- Chalmers, I., and Toth, B. (2009). Nineteenth-century controlled trials to test whether belladonna prevents scarlet fever. J R Soc Med 102, 549–550.
- Eisfelder, H.W. (1961). Poliomyelitis immunization: a final report. J Am Inst Homeopath 54, 166–167
- Taylor-Smith, A.. (1950). Poliomyelitis and prophylaxis. Br Homeopath J 40, 65–77.
- (2001). Treatment of scarlet fever with homeopathy? MMW readers remember the pre-penicillin era. MMW Fortschr Med 143, 12.
- Bandyopadhyay (2010). Decreased Intensity of Japanese Encephalitis Virus Infection in Chick Chorioallantoic Membrane Under Influence of Ultradiluted Belladonna Extract. Am. J. Infect. Dis., 6, 24–2
- Bracho, G., Varela, E., Fernández, R., Ordaz, B., Marzoa, N., Menéndez, J., García, L., Gilling, E., Leyva, R., Rufín, R., et al. (2010). Large-scale application of highly-diluted bacteria for Leptospirosis epidemic control. Homeopathy 99, 156–166.
- De Souza Nunes, L., and Nunes, L.A. de S. (2008). Contribution of homeopathy to the control of an outbreak of dengue in Macae, Rio de Janeiro. Int J High Dilution Res 7, 186–192.
Historical Use Of Homeoprophylaxis By Well Known Homeopaths And Clinical Research
Data from HP for Professionals Course Taught by Dr. Isaac Golden, 2014
- 1799 In the book The Life and Letters of Dr. Samuel Hahnemann by Thomas Lindsley Bradford, M.D., in chapter 17 we read “Epidemic of Scarlatina”, the author writes “during the summer of 1799, the last year of his sojourn in Konigslutter, an epidemic of scarlet fever occurred, during which Hahnemann discovered the great value of Belladonna as a prophylactic against this serious disease.”
Historical Background: It was during a 1799 scarlet fever outbreak in Germany, Dr. Hahnemann observed that three children in a family contracted the disease, but the fourth remained unaffected. The fourth had been treated with homeopathic Belladonna for an unrelated joint problem. Dr. Hahnemann reasoned that perhaps the dose of Belladonna had protected the child from scarlet fever as well as treated the joint affliction. Soon afterward, he was able to test his theory when, in another of his patient’s families, three children in a family of eight contracted scarlet fever. Hahnemann administered homeopathic Belladonna to the remaining unafflicted five, and all five remained symptom free. Hahnemann continued using Belladonna during this epidemic, and soon conventional physicians took note and began using the same protocol. Of 10 allopathic physicians who were reporting their results with Belladonna, 1,646 children were prophylactically treated and then exposed to scarlet fever, but only 123 children (7.4%) developed symptoms (during the same time, disease from exposure ran as high as 90%). Hahnemann subsequently detailed his success and prophylactic recommendations in an 1801 booklet called “The Cure and Prevention of Scarlet Fever with Belladonna”.
- 1801 Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, Founder of Homeopathy and Homeoprophylaxis used Belladonna to prevent Scarlet Fever as reported in his pamphlet entitled “The Cure and Prevention of Scarlet Fever with Belladonna”.
- Read also the article about the Origin of Homeoprophylaxis by David Little.
- Dr. Hahnemann also refers to homeoprophylaxis for scarlet fever in his book “6th Organon of the Healing Art“, aphorism 73, footnote 73b that discusses acute miasmatic disease. In aphorism 73, Hahnemann discusses his use of Belladonna for prevention of scarlet fever and Aconite for roodvonk (purpura miliaris).
- 1831 Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, Camphor, Cuprum metallicum and Veratrum album for Asiatic Cholera.
- 1849 Dr. C. M. F. von Boenninghausen, Lesser Writings, Cholera
- 1853 Dr. R. E. Dudgeon, Belladonna, Scarlet Fever.
Dudgeon reported in his Lectures on the “Theory and Practice of Homoeopathy” the experience of ten allopathic doctors who gave Belladonna to 1646 children who were exposed to scarlet fever of whom 123 contracted the disease, which is under 1%. The normal attack rate in unprotected children was as high as 90%.
- 1884 Dr. J. C. Burnett
- 1900 Dr. K. T. Kent
- 1907 Dr. C. W. Eaton, Variolinum
- 1918 Dr. T. A. McCann of Dayton, Ohio, Influenza Pandemic
The effectiveness of Homeopathy in acute epidemics was confirmed during the great Influenza Pandemic of 1918. The Journal of the American Institute of Homeopathy, May 1921 reported the following data. Dr. Dayton recorded that in 24,000 flu cases treated by orthodox medicine the mortality rate was 28.2% while for those treated homeoprophylatically it was only 1.05%. The Dean of Hahnemann College who collected 26,795 with similar results supported this figure. Source: Some History of the Treatment of Epidemics with Homeopathy by Julian Winston.
- 1920 Dr. S. Close
- 1932 Dr. Paul Chauvanon – Dipththerortoxinum
- 1967 Dr. Dorothy Shepherd
- 1968 Dr. Krishnaumurty – Influenzinum
- 1972 Dr. P. Sankaran – sourcing 92 practitioners and hundreds of examples of HP
- 1974 Dr. D. Castro and Dr. D. G. G. Nogueira – Meningococcinum against Meningitis
- 1976 Dr. M. Blackie, Influenzinum
- 1976 Dr. K. M. Mather
- 1978 Dr. P. Sankaran
- 1982 L. J. Speight – Examples of HP in Nine Common Diseases
- 1989 Dr. Andrew Lockie
- 1991 Dr. F. X. Eizayaga
- 1991 Dr. B. Sethi – Diptherium, Lathyrus sativa, Pertussin in Whooping Cough
- 1998 Mroninski C., Adriano, E., Mattos G., 2001 – Meningococcinum
- 2011 Brazilian Public Health Service did a placebo-controlled clinical trial of HP with 600 children. Read “The Use of Homeopathy To Prevent Symptoms Of Human Flu And Acute Respiratory Infections: A Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo-controlled Clinical trial with 600 children.”
A 15 Year Clinical Research Study On Homeoprophylaxis By Dr. Isaac Golden, Australia
- Parent responses were data based over a 15 year Homeoprophylactic Program for disease prevention from 1985 to 2004. There were a total of 2,342 responses were collected, each one covering one year of a child’s life. The effectiveness and safety of the homeopathic option to vaccination is fully discussed and the actual comments by parents are reported.
- The single figure measure of effectiveness is 90.4% with 95% confidence limits 87.6% – 93.2%.
- Using national attack rates in Australia where the study was done, there was as a control HP efficacy for three diseases was:
The Cuban Experience in 2007 and 2008 with Homeoprophylaxis and Clinical Research
Dr. Golden supervised the recent use of Homeoprophylaxis on a large population was during an epidemic in Cuba in 2007 and 2008 for Leptospirosis – with amazing clinical efficacy on a population of 2,000,000 people in a government run program.
- Cuban medical researchers successfully prevented the outbreak of Leptospirosis in Cuba among a population of 5 million people across two regions using homeopathy in both 2007 and 2008.
- Dr. Golden was consulted at the request of the Finlay Institute, a vaccine manufacture to do this work for the Cuban government.
- Using Homeoprophylaxis, the equivalent of immunization in homeopathy, a HP nosode of Leptospirosis was prepared and administered along with two Bach Flower Essences to address the typical mental and emotional effects of the disease.
- Two dry doses were given to a population of 2.5 million, the second dose being 7-9 days after the first, bringing the incidence of infection to just under 10 people with no fatalities.
- Previously, conventional treatment of the population with a vaccine still resulted in thousands of infections and a number of fatalities and at a cost of US $2 million.
- The Homeoprophylaxis solution was incredible AND affordable and the total cost was just only US $200,000!
The Brazilian Experience In 1998 With Homeoprophylaxis
(excerpts from Dr. Golden’s website)
- In 1998 there was an outbreak of meningococcal meningitis type B in a region of Brazil. Doctors in that country are also homeopaths. There was no vaccine available at the time so a group of doctors who worked in the region used the HP meningococcal nosode to immunize 65,826 children. Another 23,539 children in the region were not immunized. The doctors followed the two groups for 12 months.
- The efficacy of Homeoprophylaxis was 95% after six months and 91% after 12 months. It was a complete and statistically rigorous report and was published in a leading peer reviewed Homeopathic journal, and is available for study
- Reference: Mroninski C, Adriano E, Mattos G (2001) Meningococcinum: Its protective effect against meningococcal disease. Homoeopathic Links Winter Vol 14(4); pp. 230-4).
Initial Use of Homeoprophylaxis By Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, Founder of Homeopathy
(excerpts from Dr. Golden’s website)
- Vaccination was first used in 1796 and Homeoprophylaxis (HP) was first used in 1798. There is over 200 years of recorded clinical evidence showing the real-world effectiveness.
- The founder of Homeopathy, Dr Samuel Hahnemann, was the first to use HP in epidemic situations and it has been used by many masters of homeopathy since then. However much of this information is not collected into statistical studies and does not suggest rates of effectiveness. It has value, but we shall next examine statistical studies.
Historical Use of Homeoprophylaxis: Chart With Clinical Data
Data from HP for Professionals Course Taught by Dr. Isaac Golden, 2014References for these studies may be found in Vaccination and Homoeoprophylaxis – A Review of Risks and Alternatives, 6th edition.
|Year||Researcher||Numbers of Participants||Length of Survey||Effectiveness %|
|1907||Eaton||2,806||< 1 year||97.50%|
|1950||Taylor-Smith||82 (12 definitely exposed)||< 1 year||100%|
|1963||Gutman||385||< 1 year||86%|
|1974||Castro & Nogeira||HP =18,000 Not HP = 6,340||3 months||86.10%|
|1987||English||694||2 years||87.0 – 91.5%|
|1987||Fox||61||5 years||82.0 – 95.0%|
|1998||Mroninski et al||HP = 65,826 Not HP=23,539||6 months & 12 months||95.0 – 91.0%|
|1997||Golden||593 children (1,305 questionnaires)||10 years||88.80%|
|1987||Fox||61||5 years||82.0 – 95.0%|
|1997||Golden||593 children (1,305 surveys)||10 years||88.80%|
|2004||Golden||1,159 children (2,342 surveys)||15 years||90.40%|